The Cutest House on the Street

Friends and neighbors all agree that Melissa and Scott Williams' home is hands down one of the most stylish in the Hollywood Riviera. It's easy to understand why since Scott is a general contractor and Melissa, well, she was just born with the design gene.

The Torrance, California ranch house they call home is actually the same house where Scott grew up. When Scott's father was ready to retire and relocate, Scott couldn't think of a better place to live. So a few years back he purchased his childhood home and began planning a remodel. Treading gently, the Williams updated the facade and interiors with deft hands and keen eyes.

Changes started at the entrance, where sidelights were added to the old front door which was transformed via Scott's carpentry skills into a dutch door painted glossy black.

dutch door front entrance



Once inside, the house has a traditional yet beachy vibe with a color palette of white, cream, sand, sea foam, chocolate brown and slate blue. The crown molding and trim were updated and the walls given a fresh coat of paint.


dark floors contrast nicely with the light walls and wood work


Originally a garage, the family room was reconfigured for entertaining by adding exposed beamed ceilings, new floors, built-ins and a comfy sectional sofa.

notice the cute kick pleat on the ottoman

the TV hides inside the built-ins



I asked Melissa how she approaches the design process and here's what she had to say.

Riviera View: When you're working on a room is there a specific piece or element you like to begin with?

Melissa Williams: I always start with color. My home has a cohesive color scheme, but each room has its own distinct palette. In fact, there are 12 different paint colors used throughout our interior. I collect fabric swatches, paint chips and photos from magazines to create the visual palette that will set the mood for each room. After I’ve selected the color scheme for a project I like to focus on a major piece of furniture… usually the couch in a living space and a headboard or dresser in a bedroom. Together, these elements establish the design aesthetic. Collecting accent furniture, textiles and accessories becomes an ongoing treasure hunt from there.



RV: You've got a gift for choosing colors. How did you decide on the palette for your home?

MW: I am very sensitive to my visual environment so I need my home to feel serene and restful. Consequently, I am drawn to cool colors like steely blues, greens and grays. The first thing I did when we purchased our home was create a notebook labeled “Color Scheme”. I filled it anything that spoke to me. I was especially inspired by two magazine photos. One was of a vintage bottle collection while the other displayed a sea urchin and an abalone shell. I literally wrote “I ♥ these colors!” in the margins. I also knew I wanted dark espresso floors and bright white trim. Everything fell into place from there.

inspiration photo

RV: What rooms were more daunting than others?

MW: Undertaking the master suite remodel was definitely an overwhelming project because it involved completely gutting the back portion of our home and redesigning the layout. We demoed the entire space and started from scratch to create a master bedroom with an attached bathroom and a combination walk-in closet/laundry room. I wanted to hire an architect but my husband refused, insisting we could create a great floor plan ourselves using the existing footprint of the house. He was right and we are thrilled with the outcome.



Scott 's vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom creates a more spacious feeling


enlarge this photo to see Melissa's artwork above the bed


master bath limestone counter tops




RV: Was all the framing and millwork done by Scott?

MW: Yes. When we moved into the home I gave Scott a vague description of the trimwork I had in mind. He did a mockup of a single door casing and I loved it. All of the millwork – window and door casings, wainscoting, exterior accents – came from that original design. He routered each piece individually to achieve the custom look I wanted. He also installed oversized crown molding and baseboards throughout the house, which added instant character and created the backdrop I needed for my design concept.


entryway

RV
: What about the cabinetry?

MW: Our kitchen cabinetry is still original. (I think I’ve counted five different layers of paint!) When we do ultimately undertake a large-scale kitchen remodel, Scott will custom build the cabinetry to match a beautiful entertainment unit he recently completed for our family room. The unit was the first piece of furniture I designed myself. I prefer simple shaker-style doors hand-joined with floating panels. The woodworking involved is a real art. Just as we did on the entertainment unit, we’ll have the kitchen cabinets lacquered a bright white with a satin sheen. This is going to be a large undertaking, though, so it will easily be a couple of years away…






RV: What is the story behind the vaulted ceilings in the guest bathroom?

MW: As a framing contractor, my husband loves specialty framing… free-floating spiral staircases, barreled ceilings, arches, etc. Our initial plan when we were remodeling our guest bathroom was to have a flat ceiling with crown molding. Once the room was gutted down to the studs Scott suggested adding a groin vault (4 perpendicular arches connected by two diagonal arches). I was very reluctant since architecture typically found in a European cathedral seemed a bit fussy for our 1950’s ranch house, to say the least. But he promised that if I didn’t like it after it was framed in he’d rip it down, no questions asked. In the end, it has turned out to be one of my favorite features in the house. I love the way it looks with my crystal chandelier, pedestal bathtub and carrera marble countertop.

vaulted ceiling

beautiful vanity with carrera marble top


California ranch meets French Chateau


RV: Who are your favorite designers?

MW: Although my home has nothing in common with mid-century design, I am awed by the talent and vision of Charles and Ray Eames. Growing up, my grandfather had an Eames lounge chair and ottoman. I don’t think my grandparents had any idea what an iconic piece of furniture they were allowing six grandchildren to jump and play on. Even still, that chair must have lasted for 20 or 30 years. Maybe someday the Design Fairy will generously drop an ivory leather one on my doorstep…

RV: Where do you shop to find your pieces?

MW: Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel are great local sources for
furniture and accessories. To avoid a cookie-cutter catalog look, I’m careful not to purchase too many pieces from one store and to inject unique finds and heirlooms in all of my spaces.



dining nook

plate collection


RV: What design trend are you over?

MW: OK, I’m probably going to lose all credibility here, but I just don’t understand America’s seemingly endless obsession with The Great Room. The name alone is enough to annoy me. Sure, open floor plans are functional, and if I had one I might be singing a different tune. But I think there is something to be said for the cozy spaces of yesteryear. I like that my old home has admittedly-underused living and dining rooms. No matter what chaos is going on in the rest of my house, I can count on the fact that these rooms will remain beautifully restful. They are a visual reminder that not everything in my life is about function and routine.

That, and vessel sinks.


dining room



guest bedroom/craft room


daybed

a gift wrapping zone - on everyone's fantasy design to-do list - which Melissa actually accomplished!


living room


living room fireplace


living room vignette


side yard walking path


a pair of the home's original windows mounted on the back fence.

Melissa in the backyard with her pup, Poco

RV: What's your next project?

MW: We’re designing a new shed for our backyard. Dutch door, divided light windows, flower boxes, the whole shebang. If we’re not careful, it’s going to end up cuter than our house!



Photos: Melissa Williams

Paint resources:

Trim in the entire house is Ultra Pure White from Behr Entry/Living Room/Dining Room/Kitchen: (walls) Silver Sage from Restoration Hardware, (ceiling) Swiss Coffee from Behr Family Room: (walls) Swiss Coffee from Behr, (ceiling) Pensive Sky from Behr Guest Bathroom: (walls and ceiling) Pensive Sky from Behr Hallway: (walls) Homespun from Martha Stewart Everyday Colors ----- DISCONTINUED Craft Room: (walls) Yarmouth Blue, (ceiling) Whithall Brown, both from Benjamin Moore Nursery: (walls) Lambswool, (ceiling) Skylit, both by Pratt & Lambert Master Bedroom: (accent wall) Blue Slate, (walls) Manchester, (ceiling) Titanium, all by Pratt & Lambert Master Bathroom: (walls) Blue Slate, (ceiling) Manchester, both by Pratt & Lambert

Scott Williams Framing Inc., License #904831, 310.750.7980 swframing@mac.com

Comments

Kitty Sheehan said…
Thanks for all your work bringing this to us!
Great photos, love all the details.
A very nice story!
RIVIERA VIEW said…
Thanks Kitty. Actually, Melissa took most of the these photos. I need to update the blog to reflect that!

-AM
nancy said…
Thanks for this wonderful inspirational home. SSo many great ideas!
Jessie Rae said…
I loved this entry Alixe. Thank you for making the post. Beautiful home.
pve design said…
Wonderfully charming and inviting and I want that craft room for wrapping and creating! Cutest is right!
pve
RIVIERA VIEW said…
nancy, Jessie and pve - thanks for stopping by!

- Alixe
Bargain Hoot said…
what a beautiful home!!
Anonymous said…
My favorite room by far is your craft/guest room! I love the deep color you've used on the walls with the light furnishings in the room but then I am a true lover of contrast in home decor. Great idea to combine a room for crafts with the infrequent guest use.
Anonymous said…
Hi, I was wondering if you knew the exterior color for this house. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
it is absolutely beautiful. i think the white color, which is dominant i the house, is creating the feeling of tranquility. amazing
RIVIERA VIEW said…
The exterior color is called Smoke Tree and it's from Dunn-Edwards. Apologies for the delayed response. You've probably painted your entire block by now. ;)
KayV said…
Hi. Lovely home! I have very low ceilings and am thinking of adding beams like you did to bring the eye up. Can you please tell me the height of the ceilings in your family room? Did you use "faux beams"? If so, who did you use.. what style/finish?
Anonymous said…
I love the exterior paint color. Is it Smoke Tree by Sherwin Williams and what color is your trim. It is beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

Martyn Lawrence Bullard Fabric

Washington-Smith, Wright & Lautner Homes on the Market in L.A.